Come get certified to referee soccer games! Learn more about the game you love, help younger players learn to play, and earn extra money.
WHO: You must be 14 years old by the April 2, 2022 to be eligible for this training session.
WHEN: Field session on April 2, 2022, 1:00-5:00, online training must be completed at least five days before the field session
WHERE: Rutgers side field (behind CADES)
WHAT NEXT?: Once you are trained as a US Soccer ref, we would love to have you get your feet wet with Spring Soccer! Reach out to Sara at Sara@SwarthmoreRecreation.org to get signed up in our intramural league with low-pressure learning games of 4v4.
You may register for travel games with Central League by reaching out to Tim Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Referees are paid according to a schedule published by EPYSA HERE.
To become a U.S. Soccer Referee, Candidates must:
1. Create an EPSARC account in Officials Management System (OMS)
2. Register for the Online Lessons clinic: the clinic takes about 4.5 hours and must be completed at least five days before the on-site training class)
- From your OMS Home Page > Registration > select “Register for a clinic or fitness test” Go through the prompts
- Register and pay for the Online Lessons clinic
- From your home page, click on the Online Lessons link
- Begin the lessons. #1 will take you to the US Soccer Learning Center where you will create an account and complete the 4.5 hour lesson.
- Any problems with the Learning Center (not updating or not saving your progress) email Joanne at email@example.com
- Complete all 5 lessons in your OMS account.
- Every referee 18 and older is required to complete the SafeSport Training.
- There are 3 individual modules, each taking about 30 minutes.
- Once all 3 are done, you will receive a “SafeSport Trained” certificate
- Your OMS account will automatically be updated.
3. Select a Field Session: the field session costs $100
- All lessons must be completed before you can chose a field session.
- Log into your account and click on Pick a Clinic
- Field Sessions are hosted by local clubs, and posted to the website once approved. Continue to check often.
4. Attend the Field Session
- Arrive properly equipped as a Referee
- Uniform – shirt (primary color is yellow), shorts, socks, sneakers are fine
- Whistle, referee wallet, yellow card, red card, flags
- Official Sports Referee Starter Kit or any retailer (these generally cost $40-60)
- Most sessions are outside so dress appropriately for the weather
- Bring a snack, water, sunscreen, folding chair
Background Clearances – Required for ALL referees
- Pennsylvania Background Clearances (NOTE: clearances may take up to 30 days to complete although many are coming back within days – allow sufficient time.)
- Upload clearance documents into your OMS EPSARC account for review
o Be sure the documents are saved on your computer as a pdf or jpeg file
o Log into your OMS account at www.epsarc.org
o Click on Administration>Provide SafeSport/Background documentation
o Upload each document individually.
o They will be reviewed and your account will be updated.